2017 LAW DAY
Thursday, October 19, 2017
CUNY - Segal Theater
365 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 10016
Plan to attend this comprehensive half-day conference on local laws and legal issues that impact New York staffing firms NOW. And get on-site training in preparing your staffing and recruiting teams in handling these issues. Our speakers will lead owners, managers, and operations staff in an interactive session for you to learn what questions you can ask in meeting with candidates.
SPACE IS LIMITED, SO REGISTER NOW!
8:30 - 9:00 a.m.
9:00 - 9:05 a.m.
Welcome by NYSA President, Ed Simpson
9:05 - 10:15 a.m.
Staffing and the Law - A round-table review of current and pending legislation at the New York state and city levels
Speakers: James A. Essey, President & CEO, The TemPositions Group of Companies and Jason Klimpl, Esq., NYSA Associate General Counsel, Tannenbaum Helpern Syracuse & Hirschtrit will review:
- New York City Ban on Salary History Inquiries
- New York State Paid Family Leave
- Other pending and potential legislation and regulations at the New York City and New York State Levels
10:15 - 10:45 a.m.
Day-to-Day Compliance Issues and Best Practices for Resolving Them
Speakers: Richard L. Steer, Partner-Labor Employment Group and Hagit Feder, CFE, Senior Compliance Administrator, Tarter Krinsky & Drogin LLP will lead a discussion on:
- What to do when the State or Federal Department of Labor, or New York City Department of Consumer Affairs shows up at your door (what are your rights/best practice regarding audits, inquiries, and investigations)
- Dealing with and resolving government investigations and penalties
- Best Practices upon receipt of an employment lawsuit, charge, or attorney’s letter (Insurance, Investigation, Defense strategies)
10:45 - 11:30 a.m.
Best Practices in Client Contracts and Employment Agreements
Speaker: James A. Essey, President & CEO, The TemPositions Group of Companies, will lead an overview on what he has learned in staffing contract law.
11:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
Putting the Law Into Action - What questions you can ask and how to initiate discussions on candidate salary history
Moderator: Jason Klimpl, Esq., NYSA Associate General Counsel, Tannenbaum Helpern Syracuse & Hirschtrit
Panelists: Susan Kurien, The Forum Group & Kristine Pierce, The TemPositions Group of Companies
Using “role play,” Jason Klimpl will lead a panel of temp and perm managers who have already begun to prepare their staffing and recruiting teams in meeting challenging situations and leading difficult conversations with candidates. This is an “interactive” session and we encourage staffing firms to send their managers and operations staff to participate.
Participants will win prizes for their questions and role play.
12:30 p.m. Adjourn